ITT: korra bashing thread
1. Power levels - in alta we saw our heroes and villains progress thought the story. We didn't see lighting or metal bending so it gave it some uniqueness. However in lok they took all the rules of alta and throw them in the dumpster, right next to Bambi. Now all the characters have power levels over 9000 and can shoot lighting, metal bend and blood bend like its nothing at all. You know I always assumed toph could only metal bend because she was blind and learned from bager moles, katara learned blood bending from Hama, (during a full moon only) and aang and ozai's family know lightning because they were royalty and aang is the avatar. But I guess now all you have to be is to achieve level 18 bending power.
The blood bending thing I get. They were trained to blood bend from an early age, the moon was only to boost power.
Lightning was certainly bullshit. Every firebender can just go to the power plant and shoot lightning all day. in Atla she could only lightning bend because she was a prodigy.
Metal didnt really exist until the fire nation started the industrial revolution so I can see it catching on because nobody really tried it or knew it would work. How fast she learned was bullshit tho.
2. The story - in alta there was an actual story. Defeat the fire lord before the comet arrives and end a 100 year war. Now tell me the plot in korra? My they are rebuilding the air nomad kingdom or something. No war, no conflict. Just looking to collect airbenders. It's like a three year old wrote the script in like one draft and the just decided to go with. Hey guys remember when we saw aang struggle to learn water, earth, and fire bending? Yeah that was great. Now I don't know who's to blame for this (the creators) but I feel like korra should have been some kind of prequel show about aang having to learn air bending and the beginning of the war. That would have been 1000 better than the crap we currently got.
3. The characters - the most glaring disappointment in korra is the characters. Take a look at the atla characters and you can recognize their personality right away:
Aang - good kind hearted
Zuko - anti hero
Toph - kick ass
Sokka - funny
Azula - crazy bitch
Now tell me the personalities in korra? Like ummm that one guy who uhh shots fire. Rememberer him? I didn't.
4. The setting - yup I'm getting into this too. In atla there was a whole vast new world for us to see. We saw the water tribes, the ruins of the air nomads, the vast earth kingdom, and fire nation. And what do we got in korra? Republic city. Because you know when you think of avatar you think NYC from the 1920s. Why does this city even exist again? So four nations and republic city? Is this real? Is this thing on?
To be honest I have no clue what personality Mako is supposed to have.
Like when he was first introduced he was kinda meant to be the straight man to Bolin's antics, maybe a little foolhardy, but now he's kinda evolved into this simple-minded idiot himself, but he doesn't really have "comedic" moments like Bolin, so we can't really guess if he's meant to be comedic or not...
It's ok, do what i did. Pretend it didn't happen. Go watch the very first two episodes and forget about the rest (3 and 4 lead up to the rest so ignore them). It's a fun little one-shot, a pilot that never took off. Let your imagination make up a story of its own.
Choose denial, choose happiness.
Um Sir? How is it that airbenders can transfer their consciousness across space? Why hasn't this power been used before to relay information and spy on our enemies? Wouldn't that have been really useful to coordinate an attack on the fire nation in ATLA.
5. The never ending raping of atla - much like the prequels to stars and Indiana jones 4, korra suffers from the "mention previous characters all the time" syndrome. Old characters are just shoved on the screen all the time and completely ruined. Now I get that this a sequel but the line between paying homage and ripping off start to blur. Did we really need a 100 year old zuko in season 3? And did we really need someone who has the same powers as combustion? And why is iroh in the spirit world. I'm really surprised we haven't grandma azula, toph, suki. Thankfully none of them have been raped yet. I can only see this as the writters having nothing to think of so they just shove atla stuff in here because they are characters we like as opposed to characters we are told to like. "Again it's like poetry."
6. Plot holes - at this point korra is shit, but several questions remain that aren't answered. AND I DONT CARE IF THIS WAS TOLD TO US IN A FUCKING BOOK OR WHATEVER!
1. If Amon wore a mask why did he need a disguise? Did he put make up on every time he went to bed?
2. Why was anti-non bending discrimination never brought up again?
BUT WAIT THERES MORE!
3. Why does republic city exist? Why did it steal earth kingdom territory? What bending does it represent?
4. If the villains of season 3 are so ".bad" why where they never brought up till now?
5. What happened to vaatu or the dark avatar state?
But you know what, I'm getting used to this shit not making sense anymore.
Now I would like to point some stuff from korra I actually like. Don't worry this won't take long. Ironically most of the major positives of korra is the stuff not on it.
1. No azula. Azula is so fucking cool. One of the best villains of all time. Thankfully no where in korra do we see an old azula doing some stupid after they let out of the mental institution. I'm really surprised mako hasn't been shooting blue fire yet. No azula is safe and sound. She wasn't raped. Where would you rape azula anyway? Right there, I've done it.
2. No suki - now sokka, katara, zuko, iroh, zhao, and toph were all ruined for being pointlessly shoe in. But suki was the least air time of the gaang so maybe thats why they haven't shoehorned her in yet.
3. No drill. The drill was so fucking cool and just screams classic atla. Thankfully no where do we see the drill being reconstructed or being used or something.
4. Almost no pro-bending after season 2. After 1 season they finally got it. We only see pro bending mentioned once or twice after words.
5. And finally the only good thing that's in korra is varrick. He's the only one with character. Everyone else is like cardboard cut out.
Uh what else. I liked when it Amon died. I liked when it was over.
>How fast she learned was bullshit tho.
Really? She had a teacher. A teacher who is the daughter of the person who invented metalbending. And when she invented it she did it in roughly the same amount of time on a hunch. By herself. I'm surprised ALL earthbenders don't metalbend
The unfortunate reality of the korra sequels is that they will be around, forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone. If you are someone who is under the age of like 20, who says his least favorite season in alta is book two because "it was the most boringist one", than I suggest you shut this review off right now before I carefully explain how much of a fucking idiot you.
Your criticisms, while not uncalled for, are mostly shit. And you should feel shit, and leave, and trouble us no more.
Or at least fucking get gud at criticism before aping people who have some inkling of what they're talking about.