Long story short, I burned something and now my entire house smells like a burning mess. I aired the place out but the smell still lingers in certain area's specifically, especially the kitchen. I found out that the smell has especially stuck to certain metallic objects in my home.
Does anyone know of any effective methods to scrubs them down and eliminate them smell entirely or am I just going to have to throw them away? I tried just watching them down with soap and water but it did jack shit.
I heard Ozone Generators can help me clean up the air, but the smell will just return shortly as long as the source of the smell stays in the house.
an ionizing fan works well for removing odors. I am moving house soon but my ex used to smoke inside all the time even though I bitched constantly about it and it's a rental. bitch didnt pay bond, I did, she moved out. pics incoming as soon as my tablet finishes rebooting and this optimization shit.
smoke smells are caused by smoke particles. our smell threshold is very low relating to smoke because it's important to not get burnt alive. only a few particles clinging to the walls and roof slowly drop over time, causing the place to stink like fuck.
Depends on what the smoke is made of. Baking soda is good for neutralizing acidic compounds (wood, vegetables, cat pee, etc), vinegar works on alkaline compounds (dairy, meat, batteries)- but those are pretty weak solvents and won't do anything to more, um,
interesting chemical residues. For serious shit you'll have to mechanically remove it, which may or may not be easier to throw out depending on things.
It's just one of those electrostatic modules off eBay installed to a regular fan. The static electricity charges the grill around the fan and knocks dust out of the air.
>It's just one of those electrostatic modules off eBay installed to a regular fan. The static electricity charges the grill around the fan and knocks dust out of the air.
ooh nice, I'll check this out. Thanks.
It was alkaline in nature, so I would need vinegar to neutralize the odor. It wasn't anything super serious like in >>885840 So I think it will do just fine.
I've heard about ionizing fans before. I get the feeling that they would work, but aren't those only to purify the air? As long as a source of the stench exists in the area, the smell would just come back.
if i run it on high, it manages to dissipate all of the static electricity and I dont get shocked. if I run it on medium or low, it gives me a tiny tiny zap that doesnt even hurt. if i leave it plugged in and off, it fucking blasts me. 10/10 know it works.
As a firefighter, I tell people to hire a fire remediation service that will wash the walls ceiling and floors, shampoo the rugs with a deodorizing chemical. Soot has petroleum based particles in it, it clings to objects, and only manual scrubbing and treatment can treat it so the smell doesn't come back. Your ion fan just puts out ozone that attaches to your nose and masks the smell.
Oh for a big fire, sure. Nothing is going to remove the smell of burning other than removing the burnt material which in the case of a fire requiring the fire service to attend can mean walls completely covered in soot and things thoroughly saturated in smoke. But for a small fire, wiping down the walls where there is discoloration and removing any burnt material will do. Then just hit it with the deodorizing fan. My room gets moldy even and it fixes the moldy musty smell. If I turn off the fan for a day and someone comes to visit then its much better. So independantly verified.