First time posting so dont redirect me with links and shit that relate to what im asking. Im after personal suggestions to help me not die.
I just started a job concreting which basically entails using sledgehammer and bar to break apart old footpaths and lay new ones down. For the last 5 years i have been a dump truck driver so im rather unfit and the work load at my new job is staggering to me.
Would pre workout supplement help me?
What can i take to keep up the pace for the next two weeks until i start getting conditioned to the work.
And what should i take to stop the cramps in my arms/fingers?
Long story short: what could i use to enhance my performance and decrease fatigue in the next few weeks until i am conditioned to hard work?
Also no steroids
Pre workout is basically caffeine plus a bunch of other shit that cranks you up. It'll burn you out in the long run, but what you might be able to do is use it for the days you work and then bring your tolerance down on your days off - you'll feel like shit while weaning yourself off, but you'll be able to perform during work.
My suggestion is to avoid it. Make sure you eat and hydrate enough during work. Eat plenty of complex carbs such as pasta and drink plenty of water, no sodas or sweetened drinks.
Avoid Tylenol or aspirin and aim for Aleve. The first two do more to suppress the pain. Aleve will actually reduce the inflammation in your joints and help recover from the fatigue by sleeping better.
Last part is to get at LEAST 8 hours of sleep. Your body isn't used to this level of work. You need extra sleep to help recover.
I would give it 1-3 months before you acclimate, depending on age/general fitness/discipline
The supplement industry is some combination of pissed, bent and stupid for the most part. Even the useful products tend to be a small bit of the active ingredient, a bunch of filler and a stupid markup.
Ok thanks that's actually pretty helpful. I have changed my diet, not that i can eat during work due to being on the verge of throwing up all day. What about the muscle cramps? They are the worst symptom
Where do you normally get them? Usually cramping is a sign of dehydration.
I mean this just a stab in the dark, but I'm guessing you're out in the burning summer sun for 8 hours constantly moving in steel toed boots, jeans and a safety vest. All of those combined will make you lose incredible amounts of water.
If it's in the forearms it might just be general fatigue. Keeping your blood sugar up and replacing electrolytes would be a good idea. See if drinking Gatorade or some other electrolyte infused drink helps.
Is your piss yellow? If so, drink more water. Try and get electrolyte tablets to add to your water. And if you have trouble keeping food down from nausea, eat light foods that can be processed quickly.
For example, if I have to workout I find scarfing two bananas with some skim or 1% milk helps boost my sugar levels for an hour or so. I find that I can eat that within a minute or two, and is light enough that it'll digest within 10 minutes or so.
Snacks in general are a good idea. If you're allowed to keep like a power bar or something in your vest, maybe you can sneak a bite here and there every time you get some water. Nuts are great as well. Doesn't really matter which, just choose one/several you like and just put them in a ziplock so you can keep them on you.
Actually now that I think about it, DEFINITELY get some sort of electrolyte replacement option. Whether it be through eletrolyte tablets you can add to water or some sort of drink like Gatorade. That's probably 80% what is causing the cramping. The other 20% my guess is lack of fitness.
I will get electrolytes tomorrow. I probably need them alot more than i think.
Yes piss is yellow and the only thing i ate today was actually a banana. It defiantly helped
>So performance shops sell multiple isles full of supplements and the best this to use is caffeine... That doesnt seem right
supermarkets sell multipe aisles full of pizza and cake, but the best things to eat are still fresh veggies, meat and grain.
Take iron, magnesium and zinc for those cramps m8.
In relation to supplements, most of the people here are right. Caffeine does wonders, but use it sparingly - your body adapts to it incredibly fast. Most of the supplements are snake oil.