Its 1953, Stalin just died and you are elected General Secretary of the Soviet Union
how do you proceed
Imitate Yugoslavian council communism.
Increase support for space program.
Retain and expand intelligence apparatus to thwart Western sabotage.
Denounce Stalin's "social fascist" hypothesis and restore policy of providing material aid to left-wing movements across the world.
>break up soviet union into smaller, more manageable states
>focus on food production, education, and science
>make it clear to west I have no ambitions of expanding communism
>instead focusing on making communism actually work
>become US's greatest ally
>Russia and America are now the only superpowers
>team up and run shit
1) Further russification of eastern europe
2) Agricultural policies that can actually work
3) Not even bother starting the space race
4) Fund communist terrorist groups in Italy to try and get deeper into europe
5) Take the middle east under my sphere of influence
6) Avoid cuban crisis
7) renew bureaucracy
Pretty much it.
>3) Not even bother starting the space race
under what logic
This guy got it. The command economy was too fragile in the long run, it would also have made a more polycentric eastern bloc possible.
Though, I would probably have been slower with the de-stalinziation than Khrushchev - no need to piss of Mao and cause the entire western communist movements to turn into a primordial ooze of cells.
>4) Fund communist terrorist groups in Italy to try and get deeper into europe
Not sure that this would have worked, it's hard to make people revolt against their government when the economy was booming as it did during Bretton Woods - I would honestly have been a socdem back then because socialism through parliamentarian means really seemed like a reality back then.
Throw a huge party in Moscow invite everyone and I mean everyone! With live music, booze women, Western diplomats, keep the party going for as long as possible and hope someone more capable than myself attends, I will then appoint them as my successor and retire to my Dacha.
Kill all gulag prisoners both political and normal. The gulag system was failing, could not sustain itself. Then i would probably do what china did in the 80s, without the fucking real estate bubble.
1) Instant U-turn on Lysenkoism
2) More Autonomy to the Soviet Republics
3) Come out as supporter of a Palestine state, hopefully prevent the '67 debacle
4) No missiles on Cuba
5) Establish the Washington-Moscow hotline before it is needed
6) Do my best to remove Kim from his godhood dictator position with the help of China
7) Don't hurt the Poles too bad.
8) East Germany will not become a Police state.
9) Prevent Chernobyl
10) Use my physics education to help physics