What are your thoughts on dual majoring?
Does it end up being worth it in the end or make you more marketable to employers?
Anyone here who has dual majored, have you tried hang yourself?
I know a few people who have double majored. Usually it's one of these reasons:
1) They want to get a job (stem major) but also have a deep interest in something less applicable (arts major)
2) They want to work in an interdisciplinary field that they can't major in (lots of people at my uni double major in bio and psych cause we don't offer a neurosciences major)
3) They want to broaden their job opportunities (I know some business majors who also manage in Spanish or Japanese because they want to work in those areas)
4) Their primary major is really intense so it's just a couple more classes to get a second major (happens to a lot of ChemEs-- they get a chemistry major out of compliment)
IMO, go for it if you have the time, money, and dedication. However, most LA majors (maybe not music or art, where you really need a private teacher) can be learned through some books if you're truly dedicated, so option 1 is usually not a great reason. Options 2 and 3 are good reasons, although with option 2, if you don't further that education, at least one of those slips of paper will mean nothing. Option 4 isn't a great reason, but it usually isn't a disadvantage. I know a ChemE who only had to take one more semester's worth of classes to graduate with a MechE degree as well, and now he works in mech.
Bottom line is, go for it if it's mostly an extension of your current coursework, but if the two fields aren't closely related, then expect to take at least an extra year in college, plus a lot more stress.
I'm currently an ECE major. I like it but I'm far more interested with math and physics than computer engineering. I appreciate it and I enjoy it, but not enough to pursue totally. I want to switch into just EE and double major with either math or physics since there seems to be a pretty huge overlap looking at the requirements. If it ends up taking an extra year, is that more trouble than its worth?
waste of time
do research/part-time internships, not homework
I regret double majoring in math and computer science. I should have gotten a bachelor's in computer science and applied to a math master's program. If I had, I'd be done with undergrad already. Instead, I have 5 semesters to go because the two departments disagree about what classes count for the all-university curriculum.
Yes. Mathematics, philosophy.
>Does it end up being worth it in the end or make you more marketable to employers?
Depends of your majors...
>have you tried hang yourself?
Yes, but for different reasons (clinical depression). I was nuts before college.
Math/Econ here, currently in third year. I knew I wanted to study math but at the same time that it's not the most practical degree, so at first I thought about pairing it with some type of Engineering or maybe Chemistry but I don't find the career prospects of either interesting, but I thought my high school econ class was fun so here I am. I recognize at this point though that I'm pretty much looked at as a harder working economics major by employers. Should have tried to pick up a comp sci minor too but just don't have the time at this point. If I was smart I would have done Math/CompSci in the first place.
Also no I haven't tried to hang myself but I think about killing myself in some way every day.
Double majored Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry. Posting this from a firewatch station in Yellowstone where I'm paid to spend 70% of my day reading math textbooks and the other 30% walking around in the woods thinking and enjoying nature. GG no re
Doing comp Sci but taking almost twice the amount of needed classes this semester so I can finish college faster.
I don't feel like killing myself, well maybe I do, but not because of college. I got no friends or social life anyway, so it doesn't matter if I take a lot of extra classes. Also. I study at a shit college so some classes (like probability) are piss easy, but I'm too dumb to get into a good college so yeah..