The Prince of the Land (and your personal Charge by the Emperor's order) has just informed you he plans to run off with one of the maid girls.
Assume that if he does leave you will be blamed and the Empire may be thrown into a succession crisis.
Welp, time to fake my death and buy a forged SIN again. This is, what, the third time this year? I don't know how but I'm certain this is the psychotic dwarven swordept's fault somehow. I should really stop hanging out with that guy.
This is the only acceptable answer. If only everyone trusted their heir to a non-sapient giant eusocial insect queen, perhaps there would be fewer succession crises, no?
1) Get the Prince to sire a bastard with the Maid in secret.
2) Whack the Prince at the opportune moment, such as a hunting accident.
3) Raise the bastard into his youth, get him to view you as an adoptive father figure and dear friend and protector of his father.
4) As the Emperor frets about succession, sow dissent with his vassals and champion the bastard as a proper successor who can be used as a puppet by your fellow nobles to control the Empire as you will.
5) Instigate a civil war if things proceed to slowly and get the Emperor cast from his throne and the bastard child crowned Emperor, or if at all possible simply get the aging Emperor to acknowledge the bastard as his rightful successor.
6) For the daring, kill the bastard later and take over the realm yourself as regent, possibly even ending up crowned Emperor.
>going through all this trouble to rule over a decentralized war-ravaged empire as an old man
Wow you're severely overrating the perks of being an emperor
I wouldn't think it's worth it even if you were inheriting a stable empire
You can never have enough power, and as Regent until the child is of proper age, you can raise your own power and the power of your family. More land, more fiefs, more power to hand down to your children and secure your dynasty.
>The Prince of the Land (and your personal Charge by the Emperor's order) has just informed you he plans to run off with one of the maid girls.
Yes, uh... this is the third time this year. Conditions stay the same. If he can beat me in 8 moves he gets to leave. Otherwise I'll track him down and bring him back on either his two feet or slung over my back.
Hire kidnappers to abduct him in his sleep.
Kill the maid while he's being carted off.
Rescue the prince and slaughter the kidnappers so they can't blab.
Tell the prince that his love was killed by the brigands as a witness to their crimes.
Get myself more guards to keep an eye on the kid and replace the manor staff with dudes.
Hope the kid's not bi or the kingdom will run out of kidnappers and servants real fast.