There has never been a better mech game since.
So how do you get it working on modern systems?
I find this works so much worse than just configuring dosbox manually.
MechVM just runs like trash, is prone to crashing, and gives me all kinds of graphical glitches like being able to see mechs through terrain. Even though it seems like it's basically just an ezmode dosbox installer, running dosbox manually just seems to work better.
At least that's my experience.
Just get the DOS version of Mechwarrior 2, then make a .bin and .cue rip of it, load the .cue as an imgmount in dosbox, then mount wherever you installed the game and run it.
Your run should look like this:
imgmount d "c:\MECH2\mech2.cue" -t iso -fs iso
mount c "c:\MECH2"
This is important. If you don't have a .cue, your game will not have music.
You can even get a 1024x768 resolution patch for DOS Mechwarrior 2. http://www.mech2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213#p997
Got win95 version to work with 3dfx on windows 7
1. Download nGlide and install it.
2. Copy all the files from your Mech2 CD to a folder on your harddrive. Call it Mech2Setup.
3. Download Is3Engine.zip and extract into Mech2Setup.
4. Set Windows 95 compatibility on setup32.exe, run it and install the game.
5. Copy dplay.dll from Mech2Setup/DirectX to the game installation folder.
6. Download the 3DFX conversion files (those on Vogons don't work for converting!) So please use these:
6.Extract the files into the game installation folder.
7. Set Windows 95 compatibility on mech2.exe
8. Run the game with mech2.exe and enjoy!
9. If you want the music to play, you need to have the disc in the tray.